Sunday, November 16, 2008

BEING BRITISH NO LONGER POLITICALLY CORRECT


Under new guidelines recently set out, Welsh council workers have been warned not to call Scots people British in case it causes offence. Apparently it is no longer politically correct to describe yourself as being British as it could cause offence to people from Scotland, Wales and Ireland and ethnic minorities. Sounds like Gordon Brown definitely needs to seriously re-think his thoughts and comments on Britishness then lest he should cause offence! Please accept my apologies if I’ve ever described myself as British on this blog. No offence intended! Honestly! I always try to fly the flag for common sense on this blog. I think some people more than others need a large dose of it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well that would spell the end of my blog now wouldn't it?
Funny, I suspect if a terrible event took place like another World War they would suddenly find it advantageous to call themselves British! But I'm not choosing sides or anything. ;)

Kyle and Svet Keeton said...

Hi, Naomi!

I confused... I always thought that British is good name for everybody who is living on Islands... and English, Welsh, Scottish for particular peoples who lives there.

Think I was too naive.

Thank you for you blog, Naomi.
Svet and Kyle

Naomi said...

It certainly would! I agree Melissa. I still consider myself to be British even if it isn't politically correct any more!

You are quite right Kyle and Svet, England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales are all part of the British Isles so why it's no longer politically correct to be called British I'll never know.