Friday, June 20, 2008

VODKA BRITAIN'S FAVOURITE SPIRIT


Whilst in Spain I have been enjoying Sangria, a lovely refreshing drink to enjoy on warm, sunny days. Sangria is basically a punch made of red wine and lemonade with fruit added. Some people then add a shot of Grand Marnier or Cointreau for extra zing. Every region and bar in Spain has its own Sangria recipe. I’ll definitely be having a go at making some now that I’m back at home. I’m not a big drinker but I do enjoy the occasional glass of wine with a meal. Vodka however is something I would never touch. It seems that I’m in the minority as the popular drink has now overtaken Scotch as Britain’s favourite spirit and is fast outselling traditional blended whiskeys. I’m not a Vodka drinker myself but from what I hear Russian Vodka is the best in the world. Apparently the number of Polish people now living in Britain has also helped to boost Vodka sales. Maybe the James Bond influence has helped too, as he utters those immortal words in the movies, “Vodka Martini please. Shaken not stirred!”

5 comments:

Fun Food Eater said...

Hi! Thanks for leaving comments!!!

Yeah...I'd love to exchange links

I've already linked to your blog...pls link back

Thanks!

:-)

SandyCarlson said...

Sangria, yes; vodka, no! I'm with you...Vodka has a terrible way of sneaking up whereas other spirits are quite up front! So much better that way. I hope you're enjoying Spain!

Naomi said...

Hi Fun Food Eater

I enjoyed my visit to your blog. Great photos. I've added your link to my blogroll. Keep up the good work!

Hi Sandy

I agree. I've never been keen on Vodka. I had a wonderful time in Spain. It was warm and sunny all the time I was there. Unfortunately I flew home to rain and wind. Back to reality!

Kyle and Svet Keeton said...

Hi Naomi,

Been Russian expert I could tell that not all Russians drink vodka. Vodka still considers more as men's drink and alcoholic's drink... But vodka's the only appropriate drink for funeral.

Really Kyle and me just don't drink alcohol... and I even never tasted vodka. So what we can know about "real Russians" who drink vodka everyday - that is just another world ;).

Very glad you have a recipe of Sangria and can make it now at home. Just don't forget to share with us your experience :).

Best wishes,
Svet and Kyle

Naomi said...

Hi Svet & Kyle

It's funny because I always think of Vodka as being like Whiskey - a man's drink! I tried Vodka once but didn't like it. I don't drink very much either but when I do I prefer wine. Sangria is lovely. I'm sure you would both enjoy it. Lovely to see you both again.