Sunday, April 02, 2006

"HIMALAYA" TO BE ISSUED TO SCHOOLS


Every secondary school in England is to be issued with a copy of former Monty Python star Michael Palin’s best-selling book, “Himalaya” to encourage kids' interest in Geography. It seems that fewer and fewer children are now taking the subject at GCSE and Advanced level and according to the schools' watchdog, it is one of the worst taught subjects. I have to agree with that, from my own personal experience. As somebody who nearly became a teacher myself, I always think that in order for pupils to be interested in certain subjects, they have to be put to them in a certain way, to hold their interest. How a subject is taught and the teacher’s attitude is of paramount importance.

As Michael Palin himself explained: "You can travel the seas, poles, and deserts and see nothing. To really understand the world you need to get under the skin of people and places. In other words, learn about geography. I can't imagine a more relevant subject. We'd all be lost without it." I can't agree more and as somebody whose worst subject at school was Geography, I think issuing copies of “Himalaya” to all secondary schools is a brilliant idea!

No comments: