Sunday, September 23, 2007

SCALEXTRIC CELEBRATES 50TH BIRTHDAY


I couldn’t believe it when I read that Scalextric, the popular motor racing set has just celebrated its 50th birthday. Time goes by so fast! I remember my brother having one of these popular racing sets when we were children. Thinking about it always brings back many happy childhood memories. My dad bought it for him as a present but spent quite a lot of time playing with it himself! In fact it was so much fun, I used to play with it too and so did my Mum. Quite a lot of our school friends had Scalextric sets too.

There was always a sense of exhilaration and excitement as you revved up the cars and sent them spinning round the track! Even our dog used to wag his tail excitedly as the cars went whizzing round! I remember my Mum giving us stern looks as she tried to do the hoovering and the track was always in the way, so we had to dismantle it whilst she cleaned. That was all part of the fun and then we took it in turns to set it up again. It’s a shame that with the advent of computer games, not as many children play with Scalextric sets now. They were so much fun and good family entertainment too – a good way of bringing the family together. Today’s children don’t know what they’re missing. Happy birthday Scalextric!

6 comments:

Jackie said...

Wow that ages me...I remember when it came in and it was the greatest thing since bubblegum as they say.

By the way time you joined blog explosion, mybloglog, spicypage and/or blogcatalog and got the visitors you deserve :)

Granimore said...

I always wanted one of those race car sets when I was kid. I never did get one, though.

Unknown said...

I am not sure what brand our race car track was, but I do remember the fun of racing the cars around the track! My Dad built a platform at one side of my brothers' room and we spent a lot of time playing! Thanks for bringing back those memories!!!

I agree that computer games are robbing kids nowadays the fun we had when we were little. That is why we are promoting paper dolls!!!

Naomi said...

Hi Jackie

Yes time flies when you're having fun and these racing sets were certainly a lot of fun. BTW I've actually recently joined My Blog Log - haven't got the widget up yet - still figuring out what to do. I'm already a member of Blog Explosion but will check out the other two. Thanks for mentioning those. That's very kind of you.

Naomi said...

Hi Granimore

I believe they are still around although not to the extent they used to be. Maybe you'll get a chance to play race cars with your children or grandchildren. It's a shame you didn't get a set as a child. They were a lot of fun.

Naomi said...

Hi Janey

I loved those racing sets even though I'm a girl and it wasn't meant for me. Paper dolls are a great way to get people to use their creative side and keep their minds and hands active. Too many computer games just cause eye strain and obesity in kids.