Sunday, March 11, 2007

ECCLES CAKE TO BE PART OF EU CELEBRATIONS


The humble Lancashire Eccles cake was in the news this week. The fruity Lancashire delicacy has been chosen, along with the hot cross bun as the UK’s entry in a bakery festival in Berlin, to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the European Union. Each of the 27 EU member states will be able to choose two of their favourite cakes to enter. The UK’s entry will sit alongside strudel and gateaux, when the festival takes place later this month. Eccles cakes are now famous throughout the world with exports to several countries including the U.S. and The West Indies. They’re a popular British favourite, a welcome addition to any table. The Germans are notorious pastry addicts. I’m sure they’ll grow to love them as much as we Brits do!

2 comments:

Marion said...

I love Eccles cake...and I was born in Germany and brought up on German pastries, lol! I'm sure these delicacies will be taken right to their hearts, if they're not there already!

Naomi said...

I've always loved Eccles cakes. They're a favourite with me.