Saturday, March 17, 2007

OFFICE WORKERS MORE AT RISK FROM DVT THAN AIR TRAVELLERS

Doctors warned this week that office workers who spend several hours a week sitting in front of a computer, are more at risk of deep vein thrombosis that air travellers. Apparently a third of people admitted to hospital with deadly blood clots and deep vein thrombosis were those who had sat at a desk for long periods of time. Apparently some people spend a staggering 14 hours sedentary and working at a desk without moving. Frightening news! I think the key is to take regular breaks and walk around, if only to get a tea or coffee. Employers owe it to the health and wellbeing of their staff to give them some break times away from their desks. As most of you know, I spend several hours a week desk-based but I’m lucky as I have a good employer and I’m able to take several breaks away from my desk. Sadly some employees in this country aren’t so lucky.

No comments: