Tuesday, January 23, 2007

TOUGHER LEGISLATION FOR DRIVERS WHO USE MOBILES


Still on the subject of technology, mobile phones are a wonderful invention, if used responsibly. One of my pet hates is people who fail to switch off their mobiles at the cinema or theatre, despite being given prior warning to do so. I think there is nothing more distracting than hearing somebody’s phone beep in the middle of a play or film. I even heard somebody’s phone ring at a church service once! Unbelievable!

Another thing that really irritates and annoys me is the number of people who use their mobiles whilst driving risking their own lives and other people’s as well. I see them regularly when I’m on the road. It’s just like they couldn’t care less. Despite the death of young Trinity Taylor (who was killed when another driver ploughed into her car whilst using his mobile phone), and others like her, things haven’t changed that much. I’ve always thought there should be stiffer penalties introduced. So I was pleased to hear the Department of Transport announcement that from the end of next month anyone caught using a mobile whilst driving will automatically get three penalty points on their licence and a £60 fine - double the current level. In addition the government is launching internet, radio and television adverts highlighting the dangers of motorists using mobiles. So will these new stiffer penalties make any difference to drivers who continue to openly flout the law by using their mobiles whilst driving? I certainly hope so, for the sake of my life and everyone else’s on the road. Only time will tell.

No comments: