Sunday, February 18, 2007

THE HORSE WHISPERER


I’ve always loved horses. One of my favourite movies is The Horse Whisperer. The movie tells the story of a mother whose daughter is hit by a truck whilst out riding her horse. The young girl and the horse are both severely traumatized. The girl loses part of her leg in the accident and the horse becomes uncontrollable to such an extent that the only humane solution seems to be to have the animal put down, something the mother won’t agree to do. Instead the mother decides to take her daughter and the horse to see a cowboy who claims to be able to “heal” horses and communicate with them. The cowboy is otherwise known as a “Horse Whisperer”, hence the title of the film.

The movie is make-believe, based on a novel but such people actually exist in real life. Working in the healthfood industry, I have a great interest in complementary medicine. I’ve always been fascinated by people who can communicate with animals, particularly horses and heal them. I always keep an open mind on these things. When you hear so much in the news about cruelty to horses, I think it’s wonderful that there are people out there like the horse whisperers who can see into the very souls of these beautiful animals and heal not only their physical but also emotional wounds as well. Fascinating.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Naomi! Now youv'e done it! I have seen "The Horse Whisperer" but I want to see it again and get it on DVD. I think I will start an all things equine movie library! I have a good start on that anyway...

My sons, Travis and Tony, have a way with horses that borders on being Horse Whisperers!

I found your blog through the All Things Equine Blog Carnival!!!

Naomi said...

Thanks for your visit Janey. Yes your sons do seem to have a special way with those horses.

Grey Horse Matters said...

I think we all love this movie, and have hope that we too can help the abused troubled horses in the world, by understanding and learning to communicate on a different level with them.